
Ok, so I by chance caught the PBS airing of Food, Inc. last week. (Check out this site for an opposing view.) Supposedly it was shown on PBS and possibly other stations in preperation for Earth Day this year. I know a few of you out there saw it too. By the way, this was the second of such documentaries that I have seen on PBS. I recently watched a fascinating documentary on monocultures (growing one kind of produce). So all of this information is a bit overwhelming. It really makes one think about their food and where it came from and how it was processed. The film can leave you with your jaw dropped - which I believe was their intent - but even if only half the info is correct, it is still way scary. So...now that I have seen this film, I can't be the same as a consumer. But the question is what and how to change my consumerism.
One of the things that bothered me the most was the corruption of big government and big business. It appeared that what mattered most, and therefore was the basis of all decisions made, was the almighty dollar. Saftey, quality, the law, and even morals are tossed aside for the convenience of making an easy buck. It angers me that big "food" producers can get away with what they do. However, I do still believe that the average American farmer produces wholesome quality food that they believe in and care about as it is what they too feed their families with.
So what to do? Right now I am looking at three things: fresh produce and pesticides, dairy and hormones, meat and antibiotics, hormones, and ethics. Since I can't - nor am I interested in - going organic in all things, I am considering what is the most important. So far: buy organic produce if it is from the dirty dozen list; buying organic milk and dairy for my kids, and local or grass fed meats. This has brought up three problems so far: expensive, not convenient, and sparse selection. However, I believe it is well worth it. This will be a journey of sorts, that will start very slowly, and maybe eventually, radically change the way we eat.
I will keep you posted :) Good thing we got that garden going!
No comments:
Post a Comment