
On July 27, Randy and I met with my oncologist. I can't tell you how many people in different circles have told me how good this doctor is and call her "the best." Of course, that always feels good. I was very encouraged that she is a believer and that she had sent her children to my school. Walking in to that appointment was nerve racking. I was trying to be prepared for the worst.
My tumor was 9mm (small) and HER2 positive. It was caught early and had not spread to the lymph nodes. With that data, I was put in the stage 1a for breast cancer. It also meant that I could have a "lighter" dose of treatments. Instead of 2 chemos and 2 targeted immunotherapy treatments, I would have one of each. I also would not need radiation. This was better news than I expected. With these treatments my prognosis is very good.
A lot has happened in HER2 positive treatments in the past 15 years. First, there is a treatment - there didn't used to be 20 years ago - that's the year 2000. Mind blowing to me! With the development of the immunotherapy drug Herceptin, a once very scary diagnosis has turned into a treatable and even curable disease. Because this cancer is aggressive and likes to return, the best outcomes are to pair Herceptin with chemo to make sure it has been completely eradicated from my body. If the cancer is going to return, it is most likely to return in the first 3 years after treatment. After 5 years, the word "cure" can be used.
My treatment plan is to receive chemotherapy (Taxol) and herceptin (Kanjinti) every Monday for for 12 weeks. I will receive these via infusions through a port. After that I will get just herceptin every 3 weeks for a year. The chemotherapy will make me lose my hair and have the other unpleasant side effects that go with killing off cells in your body. The herceptin will most likely have little to no side effects.
Covid 19 is also making an impact on my treatment. This is where I was surprised. My oncologist said that due to the pandemic and being immunocompromised, I could not go to work. I work with lots of children who bring lots of germs with them, and even if I didn't work in a school, the risk of being exposed was too high. So, for the next 6 months I can not work. Also, she did not want my kids to go to school; kids just are not fully able to social distance and follow all guidelines. No playdates either! Randy may go to work but may need to take time off if my immune system has gotten too low. He will have to take extra precautions to stay safe.
No comments:
Post a Comment