Monday, August 3, 2020

Covid and Cancer. Cancer phase 1.

Detecting cancer early: what makes a cancer test? - Cancer ...

I had my first mammogram screening done in early June.  Before being screened, the technician wanted me to know that it was common to get called for a second screening your first time.  So when I was called back and informed that I would need a second mammogram, I was not too concerned...a little, but I reasoned myself out of being too worried.  

The second mammogram and ultrasound showed that I most likely had Ductal Carcinoma In Situ (DCIS).  This was scary and unexpected news.  I didn't know what DCIS was and didn't like the sound of it.  I returned a few days later to the hospital to have a two biopsies done.  

The pathology report came to me over the phone.  I was told that I had a small pea sized lesion on my right side, 7mm to be exact.  It was DCIS and could be removed with a lumpectomy.  Additional treatments were not expected but radiation could not be ruled out.  

My first doctor appointment was called a multispecialty team appointment.  I was able to meet with many doctors who would be part of my "team" and be a part of my care and treatment.  When I met with my surgeon I had a bit of a shock.  She told me a very different version of my pathology report.  What I actually had was a benign 7mm lesion on my left side.  On my right side I had 3-4cm of calcifications in my ductal walls.  This clustering was not good.  It looked aggressive and needed to be removed.  The calcifications were a grade 3 on a 1-3 scale.  A lumpectomy would not be a good idea.  The safest thing to do was a mastectomy. This was not what I had even considered and it hit hard.  My mind was spinning and I could not figure out how I could have been told something so different over the phone. The good news, we were told, is that there was no indication that the cancer had left the ductal walls and so it was not invasive - a stage 0 cancer.  No chemotherapy or radiation would be needed, just surgery and reconstruction if I wanted.

There was a lot of processing to do, and lot of fears to work out, and the need to accept the new diagnosis and treatment plan. So we went camping.  We were not even at the campground 24 hours and Lukas got sick.  Rules were strict about leaving if you had any covid symptoms. So we started to pack up; kids crying and all.  But last minute, we got the campground permission to stay because he didn't have a fever. Phew. We ended up having a wonderful time and I am still very thankful for this.


Before surgery could be scheduled, I needed to have a genetics test done to make sure I was not positive for any breast cancer genes.  I didn't think so, because there are no cases of cancer on either side of my family.  But I wanted to make sure as it would affect the type of surgery I would choose.  The test came back negative and surgery was scheduled for July 13.  


No comments:

Post a Comment