
So I've been making bread... and really its been so much fun! The house smells amazing, and as it turns out its not that hard! I have two recipes that I love right now. Both shared with me by friends. One is a whole wheat, and the other a white/wheat. Both taste great but I have yet to master the rising part because the bread looks a little flat. But honestly, it tastes so good I don't care what it looks like! I also tried cinnamon rolls this weekend - and they were delicious (how can they not be). And discovered the beauty of using an electric knife for cuttng bread loaves. Of course all this bread making will mean extra walks around the block :)
Since I'm thinking about food, here is something else that I was excited about this week: cooking using a whole chicken. I've done this twice now, and really enjoy it - I cook a whole chicken with lemon, parsley and onion in a crockpot. We eat off it for a meal (super tender and tasty!). Then with the leftovers I make chicken salad and use the rest for cooking. What works well is to cube 2 cups worth and freeze it untill I am ready to use it in my next recipe. Then I take the chicken bones and stick it back in the crock pot, add water and vegetable scraps, and cook it over night to get chicken broth! (Thanks Dorothy!)
Feeling very "Home-Ec." these days. But its fun and may even save me a dime or two!
No comments:
Post a Comment