Friday, January 29, 2010

Sled Craze


So the snow is about to blow here, and I thought, hey I should get a sled for Ana because she loved the snow and sled in Michigan. Having grown up in MI, buying a sled has always been a very simple thing...welll at least it appeared so for my parents :) So, I set out this morning to Walmart - because where else would you go - and they were sold out...apparently a long time ago. But the kind elderly man told me to go to Mayo Garden Center. As i drove in the parking lot, i realized i was the last person in Knoxville to receive this information. I waited for a parking spot, unloaded Ana, and noted that people were still leaving the store with sleds. A good sign. I opened the door and was greeted by about 50 people in line for... salt and shovels, I hoped... But no, a kind lady with a great southern drawl let me know that, "honey if you want a sled they ran out of numbers a while ago, just go on and git yourself in line over there." So I did. It was a bit of a wait but the line moved. As I approached the counter, the manager anounced that they were out of sleds, thanks for coming. I lingered to make sure I heard him correctly. Then the cashier made it known that there were two broken sleds left. People began yelling for them and rushed the counter. The manager instructed to sell them to the next-in-line and sell them for 7.99. I was next...how lucky... Being persuaded by the masses that this was good fortune for me, I bought a busted up sled for 8.75 with tax. As I was about to leave, I realized there was a fight going on over this sled. Apparently another cashier had told another customer that she was the next-in-line to receive the sled, and there was much unhappiness over the miscommunication. So I offered the sled to the lady, imagining her cute little kids waiting at home for mommy to come home with a sled. She paused and declined, but finally took the offer. She paid me $10 and wouldn't except the change. She left me with, "my boys are coming home from college and might want something to do." Really?

Randy and Ana sledding in Michigan

No comments:

Post a Comment